Timeline of Computing 1950-1969
Computers are made up of many parts, and each is a unique discovery of its own. In this timeline we will see many of these sections, and how they contribute to the computers we have today.
– Hideo Yamachito; Created the first computer in Japan.
– Alan Turin; Published a paper – Computing Machinery and Intelligence which helps create the Turing Test.
– UNIVAC I (Universal Automatic Computer I) is introduced – the first commercial computer made in the United States and designed principally by John Presper Eckert & John W. Mauchly.
– Lyon Electronic Office (LEO) developed their first business in Computer. This company runs a computer payroll system for the first time was designed by Maurice Wilkes who had previously worked on EDSAC.
– The Ferranti Mark 1 computer is a commercial version of the Baby Machine from the University of Manchester. The music program was written by Christopher Strachey.
– EDVAC: First computer used magnetic tape and begin the performing basic task.
– The First Computer. IBM or called International Business Machine designed the first computer machine IBM 701 and at the time they can sold out 17 computers to the scientist communities.
– IBM and John Backus introduced the formula translation – the first high-level programing language.
– Bell Labs, Introduces the first transistor computer.
– Bendix Corporation introduced Bendix G-15 computer.
– Optical fibre is invented by Basil Hirschowitz, C. Wilbur Peters, and Lawrence E. Curtiss.
– Edsger Dijkstra invented an efficient algorithm for shortest paths in graphs as a demonstration of the abilities of the ARMAC computer. The example used was the Dutch railway system.
– Sputnik I and Sputnik II: are launched by the Russians
– The first dot matrix printer was marketed by IBM
– NASA is formed
– The computer chip, Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce invented the integrated circuit or silicon chip known as the computer chip.
– The first Computer Game. Space ar games invented the first computer video games. The Spacewar Computer Game is created by Steve Russell & MIT.
– The Mouse is invented. Mouse conceived by Douglas Engelbart. Douglas Engelbart invents and patents the first computer mouse (nicknamed the mouse because the tail came out the end) but in this year, the most was not become popular until 1983.
– Hewlett-Packard entered the general purpose computer business with its HP-2115. It supported a wide variety of languages, among them ALGOL, BASIC, and FORTRAN.
– Floppy Disk. IBM creates the first floppy disk by David Noble
– Intel founded by Robert Noyce and His Friends
– The internet. The first internet was called ARPANET. ARPANET begun by the United States Department of Defense for research into networking. The original internet wasn’t used very widely because not many people had access to it but many universities and large businesses went on-line.